Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry, and an occasional rant on life in general..

You can help by becoming a follower. I'd really like to know who you are and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing. Every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers!

Grazie mille!

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Without Ham, Does Arby's Really “Have The Meats!”?

Last Time I Looked, Ham Was Still A Meat


I drove past my neighborhood Arby's the other day. I've been doing that a lot since last fall when the chain wrongheadedly removed any and all traces of ham from their menu.

Arby's ham was simply to die for. More than fifty years ago, the very first commercially prepared ham and cheese sandwich I ever put in my mouth came from Arby's. From that day until just a few months ago, Arby's was my “go-to” fast food choice. I had lunch or dinner at Arby's at least twice a week for more than fifty years. And now I just drive by, sadly longing for the good old days.

See, it was kind of funny, what with Ray Kroc's roaring success with the first McDonald's franchise not far from where I grew up, but I didn't do hamburgers as a kid. For some reason I no longer remember, my mother didn't eat burgers. I think it was a dietary issue of some sort. She had a lot of those. Anyway, she never made them at home and never had them when we went out somewhere. But give her a roast beef sandwich and she was a happy woman.

So when I was growing up, we bypassed the golden arches and headed straight for the big cowboy hat. And it was there that I discovered the juicy, pit-smoked, melt-in-your-mouth joy of perfectly oven-roasted, thinly sliced ham piled high on a sesame seed bun and topped with a slice of melty Swiss cheese.

Now, in those days, Arby's didn't do French fries; their side offering was the potato cake, of which I was not a particular fan. Potato cakes were okay and I came to appreciate them a lot more as I got older. But back in the day it was not at all uncommon for me to get a ham and cheese sandwich at Arby's and then nip over to McDonald's for what were then the world's best French fries. That was, of course, before they started pandering to the veggie crowd and ceased frying their slender shoestring strips of potato in a blend of beef tallow. But that's another issue for another time.

I was at once outraged and devastated the day I pulled in to my local Arby's drive-thru and found that the Ham and Swiss slider – the replacement for my venerable Ham and Swiss melt – had been eighty-sixed from the menu. “Okay,” I said, “Can't you just throw some ham on a bun for me or something?” “I'm sorry, sir,” came the reply. “We no longer have ham.”

WHAT!!! The place that trumpets “We Have The MEATS!” doesn't have ham anymore? Last time I looked, ham was still a meat, right? So, I'm sorry, Arby's, but if you don't have ham, then you don't really have “the meats,” now do you?

I don't know what happened. Some bird-brained bean counter at parent company Inspire Brands corporate headquarters in Atlanta probably crunched some numbers and decided they could save a nickel by ditching one of “the meats.” Of course, by removing ham from the menu, Arby's not only sacrificed the slider but also deep-sixed the Loaded Italian sandwich, one of its more popular offerings. Gone, too, is another heritage staple item, the aforementioned potato cakes. Apparently they hired some marketing research outfit to research their market and the resultant survey indicated that customer demand had shifted. Of course, you'd never know that by looking at Twitter and Reddit and other social media platforms where the disappointment is pretty palpable.

And then, adding insult to injury, Arby's has just announced itself to be a hamburger joint, a direct slap in the face to founders Forrest and Leroy Raffel. The Raffel brothers – the R Bs in “Arby's” – wanted to operate a fast food franchise based on something other than hamburgers. But they're long gone and nobody cares, right? So let's hype a new fifty-two-percent Waygu beef burger that we can peddle for more than six bucks a pop. And never mind that the food critic for the Washington Post calls it a “big, beautiful, beefy blunder.”

But corporate is standing by its choices and proclaiming that customer satisfaction is its main priority. Ummm.....look over here, guys. This lifelong customer ain't satisfied. And I've got a lot of company.

And you can tell me all day long that your disastrous decision to discontinue popular traditional menu items “simply means that there are even more delicious options to look forward to for the future.” I won't be there to try them. There's a Hardee's right down the street from my nearby Arby's and they still have a pretty decent ham and cheese sandwich there. Not as good as Arby's by a long shot, but better than the nothing option I'm getting from my former favorite fast food choice.

So come on, Ving Rhames, let me hear you say it: “Arby's. We have the meats....all except ham!”

UPDATE: This worthy petition is barely showing up on the radar. Let's give it a boost!  https://www.change.org/p/arby-s-bring-back-ham-and-cheese-sliders-at-arby-s

25 comments:

  1. Thank you. Was a great Arby’s customer myself until the wonderful ham and cheese was trashed. Their menu is now food for the livestock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 💯!!! My husband likes all their beef and pork stuff. All I ever liked was the Italian Sandwich and pizza sliders. All they are good for now is their shakes.

      Delete
  2. So people can’t live without one meat? They have beef and chicken and turkey do you really need pork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle, I say we need the ham.

      Delete
    2. I always got the ham and cheese sandwich or the original sliced beef with sauce packets. I don’t want a hamburger that I can get everywhere. Disappointed! I won’t be back until the ham & cheese and original sliced pile of beef are back.

      Delete
    3. Ham & bacon trumps chickenm

      Delete
    4. Yes we do! Without ham it is just another burger joint.

      Delete
    5. Looooved ham n cheese sandwich. I never go there anymore

      Delete
  3. There ham and cheese was the best ever, chicken cordon bleu was awesome and the ham sliders were the best of all the sliders. I used to eat Arbys at least 3 days a week, now it’s about once every two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ham sliders and fresh market ham and cheese sandwiches were my favorite items. Dont go there much snymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only ate the ham sandwiches with horseradish and potato cakes. Now both are gone and no more Arby’s for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sandwiches that "Had" ham in them that they still sell, should be reduced in price. Fair is Fair. You take the ham reduce the price. Why should customers pay the same price for a sandwich that isn't the same anymore. Case in point, The Meat Mountian, grantit a spendy sandwich, but Worth it in My opinion. Is it worth the same price with out one of its staple meats? NO it is not. But Arbys still wants to charge the same as if the ham is still in the sandwich. Are they telling me that the Mang. can't go into the cash register & change the price appropriately... when the prices go up it reflects on the register... does the register ONLY Go Up!?... needless to say I can go without the Meat Mountain since that was the Only sandwich I ate out of the line up...all the other ones I'd have to eat 2 maybe 3 & then it would have been cheaper to get a Meat Mountian in the 1st place...And we are talking about price & getting your $$$'s worth ... aren't we? Bring the ham back, skrew the pig haters & we'll all come back to Arybs, untill then...piss off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved their ham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always got at least one ham & cheese. Yummy!

      Delete
  8. I used to go to Arby's just for their original ham sandwich , When I found out Ham was out , so was I . Haven't been back since and won't be .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I no longer go to Arby's bring the meat back

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes, a business has to decide between customers satisfaction, and limited space, I guess. I liked the Hamchy, and I would rather have the hash browns than fries any day. You just can't please everyone. There are plenty of places to eat. I don't have to eat at Arby's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From all of the comments Arby’s needs to learn that many costumers are’t going there since they dropped the ham & cheese sandwiches & brings them back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hadn't been to Arby's in a long time until a recent move made an Arby's closer to access. Drove in today for my fav Ham & Cheese. What a disappointing visit. No Ham & Cheese Sandwich on the Menu. Asked the guy at the counter about it and he had NO CLUE what I was talking about! Settled for the Beef & Cheddar Sandwich. Meh. Wasn't impressed. Not going back. Sorry Arby's you've made a "wrong move" to take the good stuff off the Menu.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bring back the ham. Us who don’t really get into the fast foods because they don’t Agee with our guts anymore We still had Arby’s and now what are we to do??!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arby's had my favorite sandwich which WASN'T beef, but the very best Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich EVER. I was told by the closest Arby's near me in San Antonio, Texas that Arby's doesn't carry ham any longer. Will never be back to Arby's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No ham, no arby’s

    ReplyDelete
  16. Used to eat 3-4 times a week at Arby's. When they dropped the ham, I dropped Arby's.

    ReplyDelete