Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, and a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry.

You can help by leaving comments on posts and by becoming a follower. More than a hundred thousand people all over the world have viewed the blog and that's great. But every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers! I promise, I'm not going to spam anybody. I'd just like to know who's out there and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing.

Grazie mille!

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hidden Ammo Results In Really Explosive Cooking

You know, I used to get really upset with my mother over her quirky habit of using her gas oven to dry kitchen utensils. She used to think that the pilot light produced enough heat to thoroughly dry her wooden spoons and metal ladles and things like that. Maybe. The only thing I know for sure is that I cooked an awful lot of kitchen utensils over the years when I preheated the oven without first looking inside. I mean, really! Who looks inside the oven before turning it on, right?

Well, doing so might have saved a St. Petersburg, Florida woman a trip to the hospital.

Seems that 18-year-old Aalaya Walker got a little peckish while visiting the home of her friend, Javarski “JJ” Sandy, age 25. So, naturally, she decided to make herself some waffles. I can't count the number of times I've been visiting friends and decided to just whip up some waffles. Well, actually, I can. Zero.

Anyway, apparently Mr. Sandy lacked a proper waffle making device, and since pancakes just wouldn't do, Ms. Walker fired up the oven. And that's when things started happening.

The oven had only been preheating for a few minutes when Ms. Walker heard an explosion. Next thing she knew, she was bleeding from numerous wounds to her knees, thighs, and chest. Fortunately, all superficial. She just hopped on a bus and rode to a nearby hospital.

For some reason, the authorities were curious as to how Ms. Walker came by her injuries – which looked for all the world like damage from bullet fragments. So they checked out Mr. Sandy's house and found out that he owns a .45-caliber Glock. Legally, of course. He's got a permit for concealed carry and everything. But it seems that while Mr. Sandy – like many gun owners – keeps his pistol stored in a drawer, he, for some reason known only by the voices in his head, keeps his high capacity magazine in the oven!

<Sigh>

No charges were filed. Ms. Walker's okay. The oven is ruined. And I really can't think of anything else to say. Except, I'm glad my mother never owned a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment