Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry, and an occasional rant on life in general..

You can help by becoming a follower. I'd really like to know who you are and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing. Every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers!

Grazie mille!

Friday, June 29, 2012

World's Largest Lasagne Made In Poland

On the heels of the news that a Japanese chef won Italy's first World Pasta Championship comes word of the world's largest lasagne being turned out in Poland. Further support, I suppose, for the title of John F. Mariani's latest book, How Italian Food Conquered the World.

As Cesare Prandelli and the Italian soccer team settled into quarters in Krakow in advance of the 2012 European Soccer Championship quarter-finals, a nearby Italian restaurant – yes, I did say a nearby Italian restaurant in Krakow – decided to honor the players by putting together a little lunch. Ten hours later, the 15,432-pound lasagne was ready to be cut into ten-thousand pieces and served.

Of course, Trattoria Giancarlo's executive chef, Giancarlo Russo, wasn't sure the players' training diet would allow them to enjoy any of his creation, but he expressed the hope that “they can try just a little bit.”

The Guinness folks awarded the restaurant a world record for cooking the largest lasagne.

No word on how leftovers will be dealt with, but everybody knows lasagne is better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment